- Prevent a player from accessing or using candies (i.e. liquorice locks, marmalade, sugar chests, crystal candies and sugar coats)
- Prevent candies from taking up a space unless cleared (i.e. frosting, cake bombs and rainbow twists)
- Prevent a special candy (in particular, striped candies) from performing their normal function (i.e. liquorice shell and liquorice swirls)
- Replace candies (i.e. chocolate, toffee tornado, and dark chocolate)
- Spawn other blockers (i.e. chocolate fountains, dark chocolate fountains and magic mixers)
- Prevent a level from being completed (i.e. candy bombs)
- Prevent candies from matching (i.e. candy cane fence, candy cane curl and their liquorice counterparts)
Typically, blockers take up a square (except cake bombs, which occupy four). Blockers threaten the combination of candies and can often be very annoying. There are various blockers throughout the game. Every blocker has unique properties, such as chocolate being able to multiply if not broken in one move, and liquorice swirls being resistant to specials. Some blockers are easier to remove than others. Blockers cannot be swapped with other candies, except liquorice swirl, candy bomb, and waffle.
Blockers are the main obstacles of the board, so it is advisable to clear them as quickly as possible. Nearly every level has at least one type of blocker. Levels can have up to five to ten types of blockers, however, since the addition of magic mixers, there can be even more.
Despite some blockers being a nuisance, some are useful. For example:
- Liquorice swirls, marmalade, and frosting prevent chocolate from spreading.
- Chocolate can engulf a candy bomb.
- Marmalade sometimes contains special candies to use to your advantage.
- Magic mixers and bubblegum pops explode after clearing.
- Bobbers spawn jelly fish when hit.
List of blockers
- Strikethrough blockers indicate removed blockers (they used to exist in the game, but now got removed).
- Bold blockers indicate HTML5-exclusive blockers.
|Blocker Name||First appearance||Unique properties||Overall Threat|
|Regular icing||It is the first blocker to be introduced in the game. It can have a maximum of only one layer and was considered to be the second easiest blocker in the game (behind Marmalade) before it became functionally identical to a one-layered Frosting.||Low|
|Liquorice lock||Episode 3
|Prevents candies from being moved or destroyed. May also hold candy bombs and other special forms of candies.||Medium|
|Multilayered Frosting||It is the first blocker to be introduced, and it has a maximum of five layers. The one-layered version is the easiest one to be cleared.||Low to High|
|Chocolate||Normal: Episode 11
|Multiplies and replaces an adjacent candy if not broken in a move.||
Beneficial, if replacing bombs or sugar keys
|Marmalade||A weaker version of the liquorice lock. Usually protects special candies, but in later levels, they can hold normal candies and even blockers.||None or Very low|
|Liquorice swirl||Normal: Episode 4
|Cannot be matched, and resistant to striped candy powers. However, they are mobile, similar to toffee swirls.||Medium|
|Candy bomb||Episode 8
|Limits the number of available moves, unless cleared.
Grant large point boosts when cleared, especially with a colour bomb.
|Variable depending on the counter. Even higher if under liquorice locks, marmalade, sugar chests or crystals.
None ( if moves counter have a lower number that bomb one)
|Chocolate fountain||Normal: Episode 14
|Permanent throughout the level.
Produces chocolate after a certain number of moves when there are no chocolates on the board. (usually 2 moves)
|Cake bomb||Episode 26 Level 366||Occupies 4 tiles. Each tile takes two adjacent matches to remove the slices. Clears the entire board when all slices are cleared.||Variable depending on the level. Can be useful in some cases.
|Randomly moves around every two turns (one before its third nerf), destroying candies (and sometimes blockers), and blocking the tiles. Can make an entire level luck-based and unpredictable, and often greatly increases its difficulty.
Note: This blocker has been nerfed three times before finally being eliminated from the entire game.
Nearly infinite or Extremely high depending on incarnation.
|Sugar chest||Chests are single-tile stationary blockers that cannot be moved. Candies inside chests also cannot be matched. Chests are containers that contain certain locked-up items.||Low to Somewhat high|
|Liquorice Shell||Completely resilient to normal matches. Absorbs special candy powers (like liquorice blockers, except liquorice lock).
It can only be hit by special candies and must take three hits to destroy. On the third hit, it turns into a colour bomb.
Beneficial (colour bomb).
|Magic mixer||Unofficial: Episode 47 Level 686||It can produce predetermined blockers on the board per three moves (if this blocker does not get hit by adjacent match or special candy effect).
Can also make certain Candy Order levels rely entirely on Magic Mixers.
|High to Nearly infinite depending on the blocker it spawned and its amount.
Beneficial when it spawns blockers part of the order and when it gives a 5×5 blast.
|Bobber||Normal: Episode 162 Level 2406||Permanent throughout the level.
Spawns jelly fish when hit by special candy effects, and is used beneficially. The jelly fish spawned from bobber swim like activating jelly fish on the board, and will usually target difficult or strategic spaces.
|Beneficial (jelly fish)|
|Candy Cane Fence||Episode 218
|Permanent throughout the level.
Appears between tiles, much like ingredient exits and teleporters. If a blocker is on one side of the candy cane then matches on the other side will not affect. Blocks candies from falling, as well as chocolate from spreading. It is impossible to swap candies from one side of the candy cane to the other. Special candies cannot be made if the candy cane is involved, but the effects of said candies stay the same.
|Variable, but can help block chocolate.|
|Toffee Swirl||Maximum of five layers. Very similar to multilayered frosting but it is mobile, like a multilayered liquorice swirl.||Somewhat low to Somewhat high|
|Dark Chocolate||Maximum of three layers. It is very similar to regular chocolate.||Somewhat high to Very high|
|Candy Cane Curl||Maximum of three layers. They are multilayered breakable candy cane blockers.||Medium to High|
|Crystal Candy||Maximum of three layers. They are similar to marmalade and liquorice locks.||Low to Medium|
|Rainbow Twist||Maximum of five layers. Linked together in a chain that can be destroyed by clearing any one of the rainbow twists within the chain.||Somewhat low to High|
|Sugar Coat||Maximum of three layers. It can encase candies and other objects and it can move. It is the first movable encasing blocker.||Somewhat high to Very high|
|Bubblegum Pop||Maximum of five layers. When destroyed, it generates a 3X3 explosion like a wrapped candy. It originally looked identical to Fizz from Candy Crush Friends Saga before it was redesigned.||Very low to Somewhat high
Beneficial (3×3 blast).
|Rainbow Rapids||Episode 476
|Generates a rainbow from the top vertically. It could be collected or destroyed by linking to any rainbow rapids.||Low to High|
|Liquorice Curl||Episode 507
|Maximum of three layers. They are multilayered breakable candy cane blockers, that absorb special candy powers. This blocker also blocks the effect of wrapped candies (unlike liquorice swirls, which only block striped candy effects).||High to Extremely high|
|Liquorice Fence||Episode 508
|Permanent throughout the level.
It's a variant of candy cane fence, which absorbs special candy effects. Therefore, if there's a blocker inside that space, the only ways to destroy that blocker without boosters are CB+CB combination, landing candy frog in that space (only applies when there's another grid for candy frog to enter), and cake bomb explosion. Otherwise, boosters are inevitable. It even blocks the effect of wrapped candy effects and bubblegum pop explosion. So, five-layered frosting, bubblegum pop, and liquorice shell may become much stronger if they're inside that space. It's red and black, instead of red and white (the colours of the original candy cane fence).
Beneficial when blocking chocolate and the specific layout.
|Order Lock||Episode 528
|It's a blocker that encases other elements and can only be cleared by fulfilling certain candy orders. It resembles an orange picture frame.||Variable, depending on the order type and the amount required to unlock.|
|Sour Skull||Episode 537
|Maximum of 5 layers. Once you match candies next to the pedestal, it moves to another one, and if it is destroyed, other pedestals were destroyed. It also encases blockers and ingredients.||High|
|Bonbon Blitz||Episode 586
|Maximum of 4 charges. Once per move when it gets hit, it generates an effect corresponding to the special candy in this blocker.||Very low to Medium
Beneficial (special candy effect)
|Dark Chocolate Fountain||Episode 613
|Permanent throughout the level.
Produces dark chocolate after a certain number of moves when there are no dark chocolates on the board. These fountains depend on how many layers, since it spawns one to three layered dark chocolate from the fountain.
|Very high to Nearly infinite|
|Jelly Jar||Episode 643
|Only found in jelly levels and mixed levels requiring jelly. Maximum of 2 layers. When destroyed, it makes a range-2 diamond-shaped explosion and adds one-layer jelly to the range. (Jellies more than 2 layers will be collected.)||Beneficial (explosion)|
|Candy Cobra||Episode 699
|When fully charged, the candy cobra charges towards its corresponding basket, destroying everything in its path and creating new tiles on empty spaces.||Beneficial (destroys all destructible elements in its path and creates tiles)|
- The most infamous blockers of Candy Crush Saga are: chocolate fountains (both types), candy bombs, five-layered frosting, five-layered sugar chests, liquorice shell, magic mixer (formerly known as evil spawner), and liquorice fences because of their properties and the difficulty (or, in some cases, impossibility) of destroying them.
- Colour bomb + colour bomb combination can strip a layer from or remove all of the blockers, except chocolate fountains, sugar chests, bobbers, and candy cane fences.
- On HTML5, there used to be a glitch, so bobbers unofficially appeared in levels 426-434. The glitch has been fixed.
- Blockers can sometimes be beneficial in certain cases.
- Magic mixers can help you collect the blockers to complete the order, and you have to completely rely on them in certain cases. It can also give you a 5x5 blast, which can help in completing the objective.
- Bobbers give you jelly fish when hit.
- Bubblegum pop gives you a 3x3 blast, which can also help in completing the objective.
- Liquorice shell gives you colour bombs when popped three times.
- When a coconut wheel is set off, and there is a blocker in front of a colour bomb, or another coconut wheel, it will prevent the active wheel from setting off those blocked special candies.
- Bonbon blitz creates the effect of the special candy shown on it.
- They can also prevent the impact of detrimental blockers.
- Immobile blockers are also helpful when blocking out a candy bomb/liquorice dispenser, or preventing chocolate from passing through.
- Since Lemonade Lake, blockers are required. Some levels rely entirely on magic mixers to complete.
- Level 275 currently has an useless candy bomb dispenser. That is because it is covered up by a chocolate fountain.
- As of level 5098, certain immobile blockers can be moved by the conveyor belt. If proven, they are known as semi-immovable blockers. However, even though they can be moved, they still retain their old behaviour.
- No new blockers were introduced in 2016. Ironically, this was the same year when blocker orders were introduced.
- The blockers that didn't appeared in moves levels prior to their removal are toffee tornado, liquorice curl, liquorice fence, order lock, sour skull, bonbon blitz, dark chocolate fountain and jelly jars. Toffee tornadoes were present in only a few levels before their removal, while liquorice curls, liquorice fences, order locks, sour skulls, bonbon blitz, and dark chocolate fountains were introduced after moves levels were phased out and jelly jars only appear in levels where jelly is required.
|Candy Crush Saga blockers|
|Candy Crush Saga secondary elements|