- Prevent a player from accessing or using candies (i.e. liquorice locks, marmalade, sugar chests, crystal candies and sugar coats)
- Prevent candies from taking up a space unless cleared (i.e. frosting, cake bombs and rainbow twists)
- Prevent a special candy (in particular, Striped Candies) from performing their normal function (i.e. popcorn and liquorice swirls)
- Cover up candies (i.e. chocolate and dark chocolate)
- Spawn other blockers (i.e. chocolate spawners and magic mixers)
- Prevent a level from being completed (i.e. candy bombs)
- Prevent candies from matching (i.e. candy cane fence, candy cane curl and their liquorice counterparts)
Typically, blockers take up a square (except cake bombs, which occupy four squares). Blockers threaten the combination of candies and can be very annoying. There are many different types of blockers introduced throughout the game. Every blocker has unique properties, such as chocolate being able to multiply if not broken in one move, and liquorice swirls being resistant to special candies. Some blockers are easier to remove than others. Blockers cannot be swapped with other candies, except liquorice swirl, candy bomb, and waffle blockers.
Blockers are the main obstacles of the board, so it is advisable to clear them as quickly as possible. Nearly every level has at least one type of blocker. Levels can have up to five to ten types of blockers, however, since the addition of magic mixers, there can be even more.
- The first level to have two different types of blockers is level 37.
- The first to have three different types of blockers is level 52.
- The first to have four different types of blockers is level 104.
- The first to have five different types of blockers is level 107.
Despite some blockers being a nuisance, some blockers are useful. For example:
- Liquorice swirls, marmalade, and frosting can prevent chocolate from spreading.
- Chocolate can engulf a candy bomb.
- Marmalade sometimes guards special candies to use to your advantage.
- Magic Mixers and bubblegum pops can give a blast after clearing.
- Bobbers spawn jelly fish when hit.
List of blockersEdit
- Strikethrough blockers mean that they're no longer in use (they used to exist in the game, but now got removed).
- Bold blockers mean they're exclusive to the HTML5 version.
|Blocker Name||First appearance||Unique properties||Overall Threat|
|It is the first blocker to be introduced before it got removed.||Low|
|Liquorice lock||Episode 4|
|Prevents candies from being moved or destroyed. May also hold candy bombs and other special forms of candies.||Medium|
|Chocolate|| Normal: Episode 5|
|Multiplies and replaces an adjacent candy if not broken in a move.||
Beneficial, if replacing bombs or sugar keys
|Marmalade||A weaker version of the liquorice lock. Usually protects special candies, but in later levels, they can hold normal candies and even blockers.||None or Very low|
|Liquorice swirl|| Normal: Episode 7|
|Cannot be matched, and resistant to special candy powers. However, they are mobile, similar to Waffles.||Medium|
|Candy bomb||Episode 8|
|Limits the number of available moves, unless cleared.
Grant large point boosts when cleared, especially with a colour bomb.
|Variabledepending on the counter. Even higher if under liquorice locks, sugar chests or crystals.
Beneficial (3000 point bonus)
1: Episode 3 Level 21 (unofficial)
Episode 11 Level 142 (official)
|It is the first blocker to be introduced, and it has a maximum of five layers. The one-layered version is the easiest one to be cleared.||Low to High|
|Chocolate spawner|| Normal: Episode 12|
|Permanent throughout the level.
Produces chocolate after a certain number of moves when there are no chocolates on the board.
|Cake bomb||Episode 26 Level 366||Occupies 4 tiles. Each tile takes two adjacent matches to remove the slices. Clears the entire board when all slices are cleared.||Variable depending on the level. Can be useful in some cases.
|Sugar chest||Episode 49 Level 711||Chests are single-tile stationary blockers that cannot be moved. Candies inside chests also cannot be matched. Chests are containers that contain certain locked-up items.||Low to Somewhat high|
|Popcorn||Completely resilient to normal matches. Absorbs special candy powers (like liquorice blockers, except liquorice lock).
It can only be hit by special candies and must take three hits to destroy. On the third hit, it turns into a colour bomb.
Beneficial (colour bomb).
|Magic mixer||Unofficial: Episode 47 Level 686||It can produce predetermined blockers on the board per three moves and sometimes two or four (if this blocker does not get hit by adjacent match or special candy effect).
Can also make certain Candy Order levels rely entirely on Magic Mixers.
|High to Nearly infinite depending on spawn type, amount, and frequency.
Beneficial when it spawns blockers part of the order and when it gives a 5x5 blast.
|Bobber||Normal: Episode 162 Level 2406||Permanent throughout the level.
Spawns jelly fish when hit by special candy effects, and is used beneficially. The jelly fish spawned from bobber swim like activating jelly fish on the board, and will usually target difficult or strategic spaces.
|Candy Cane Fence||Episode 218 Level 3246||Permanent throughout the level.
Appears between tiles, much like ingredient exits and teleporters. If a blocker is on one side of the candy cane then matches on the other side will have no effect. Blocks candies from falling, as well as chocolate from spreading. It is impossible to swap candies from one side of the candy cane to the other. Special candies cannot be made if the candy cane is involved, but the effects of said candies stay the same.
|Variable, but can be helpful in blocking chocolate.|
|Waffle||Maximum of five layers. Very similar to multilayered frosting but it is mobile, like a multilayered liquorice swirl. Can get "eaten" by chocolate.||Somewhat low to Somewhat high|
|Dark Chocolate||Maximum of three layers. It is very similar to regular chocolate.||Somewhat high to Very high|
|Candy Cane Curl||Maximum of three layers. They are multilayered breakable candy cane blockers.||Medium to High|
|Crystal Candy||Maximum of three layers. They are similar to marmalade and liquorice locks.||Low to Medium|
|Rainbow Twist||Maximum of five layers. Linked together in a chain that can be destroyed by clearing any one of the rainbow twists within the chain.||Somewhat low to High|
|Sugar Coat||Maximum of three layers. It can encase candies and other objects and it can move. It is the first movable encasing blocker.||Somewhat high to Very high|
|Bubblegum Pop||Maximum of five layers. When destroyed, it generates a 3X3 explosion like a wrapped candy. It originally looked identical to Fizz from Candy Crush Friends Saga before it was redesigned.||Very low to Somewhat high
Beneficial (3x3 blast).
|Randomly moves around every two turns (one before its third nerf), destroying candies (and sometimes blockers), and blocking the tiles. Can make an entire level luck-based and unpredictable, and often greatly increases its difficulty.
Note: This blocker has been nerfed three times before finally being eliminated from the entire game.
|Rainbow Rapids||Episode 476|
|Generates a rainbow from the top vertically. It could be collected or destroyed by linking to any rainbow rapids.||Low to High|
|Liquorice Curl||Episode 507|
|Maximum of three layers. They are multilayered breakable candy cane blockers, that absorb special candy powers. This blocker also blocks the effect of wrapped candies (unlike liquorice swirls, which only block striped candy effects).||High to Extremely high|
|Liquorice Fence||Episode 508|
|It's a variant of candy cane fence, which absorbs special candy effects. Therefore, if there's a blocker inside that space, the only ways to destroy that blocker without boosters are CB+CB combination, landing candy frog in that space (only applies when there's another grid for candy frog to enter), and cake bomb explosion. Otherwise, boosters are inevitable. It even blocks the effect of wrapped candy effects and bubblegum pop explosion. So, five-layered frosting, bubblegum pop, and popcorn may become much stronger if they're inside that space. It's red and black, instead of red and white (the colours of the original candy cane fence).||Nearly infinite
Beneficial when blocking chocolate and the specific layout.
|Order Lock||Episode 528|
|It's a blocker that encases other elements and can only be cleared by fulfilling certain candy orders. It resembles an orange picture frame.||Variable, depending on order type and amount required to unlock.|
|Sour Skull||TBA||Maximum of 5 layers. Once you match candies next to the pedestal, it moves to another one, and if it is destroyed, other pedestals were destroyed. It also encases blockers and ingredients.||TBA|
- The most infamous blockers of Candy Crush Saga are: chocolate, chocolate spawners, candy bombs, five-layered frosting, five-layered sugar chests, popcorn and magic mixer (formerly known as evil spawner) because of their properties and the difficulty of destroying them.
- Colour bomb + colour bomb combination can strip a layer from or remove all of the blockers, except chocolate spawners, sugar chests, bobbers, and candy cane fences.
- On HTML5, there used to be a glitch, so bobbers unofficially appeared in levels 426-434. The glitch has been fixed.
- Blockers can sometimes be beneficial in certain cases.
- Magic mixers can help you collect the blockers to complete the order, and you have to completely rely on them in certain cases. It can also give you a 5x5 blast which can help in completing the objective.
- Bobbers give you jelly fish when hit.
- Bubblegum pop gives you a 3x3 blast, which can also help in completing the objective.
- Popcorn gives you colour bombs when popped three times.
- When a coconut wheel is set off, and there is a blocker in front of a colour bomb, or another coconut wheel, it will prevent the active wheel from setting off those blocked special candies.
- They can also prevent the impact of detrimental blockers.
- Immobile blockers are also helpful when blocking out a candy bomb/liquorice dispenser, or preventing chocolate from passing through.
- Since Divine Diner, blockers are required. Some levels rely entirely on magic mixers to complete.
- Level 275 currently has a useless candy bomb dispenser. That is because it is covered up by a chocolate spawner.
- As of level 5098, certain immobile blockers can be moved by the conveyor belt. If proven, they are known as semi-immovable blockers. However, even though they can be moved, they still retain their old behavior.
- ↑ Nerf of Level 70
|Candy Crush Saga blockers|