- Prevent a player from accessing or using candies (i.e. liquorice locks, marmalade, sugar chests, crystal candies and sugar coats)
- Prevent candies from taking up a space unless cleared (i.e. icing, cake bombs and rainbow twists)
- Prevent a special candy (in particular, Striped Candies) from performing their normal function (i.e. popcorn and liquorice swirls)
- Cover up candies (i.e. chocolate and dark chocolate)
- Spawn other blockers (i.e. chocolate spawners and magic mixers)
- Prevent a level from being completed (i.e. candy bombs)
- Prevent candies from matching (i.e. candy cane fence and candy cane curls)
Typically, blockers take up a square (with the exception of cake bombs, which occupy four squares). Blockers threaten the combination of candies and can be very annoying. There are many different types of blockers introduced throughout the game. Every blocker has unique properties, such as chocolate being able to multiply if not broken in one move, and liquorice swirls being resistant to special candies. Some blockers are easier to remove than others. Blockers cannot be swapped with other candies, with the exception of liquorice swirl, candy bomb, and waffle blockers.
Blockers are the main obstacles of the board, so it is advisable to clear them as quickly as possible. Nearly every level has at least one type of blocker. Levels can have up to five types of blockers, however.
- The first level to have two different types of blockers is level 37.
- The first to have three different types of blockers is level 52.
- The first to have four different types of blockers is level 104.
- The first to have five different types of blockers is level 107.
Despite some blockers being a nuisance, some blockers are useful. For example, liquorice swirls, marmalade, and icing can prevent chocolate from spreading, and chocolate can engulf a candy bomb. Marmalade sometimes guards special candies to use to your advantage.
List of blockersEdit
|Blocker Name||First appearance||Unique properties||Overall Threat|
|Regular icing||It is the first blocker to be introduced.||Low|
|Liquorice lock||Episode 4|
|Prevents candies from being moved or destroyed. May also hold candy bombs and other special forms of candies.||Medium|
|Chocolate|| Normal: Episode 5|
|Multiplies and replaces an adjacent candy if not broken in a move.||
Beneficial, If Replacing Bombs
|Marmalade||A weaker version of the liquorice lock. Usually protects special candies, but in later levels, they cover up normal candies and even blockers.||None or Very low|
|Liquorice swirl|| Normal: Episode 7|
|Cannot be matched, and resistant to special candy powers.||Medium|
|Candy bomb||Episode 8|
|Limits the number of available moves, unless cleared.
Grant large point boosts when cleared, especially with a colour bomb.
|Variable due to the number of moves before the detonation
Even higher if combined with Licorice Lock
|Multilayered icing||Maximum of five layers. The one-layered version is the easiest blocker to be cleared.||Very low to Somewhat high|
|Chocolate spawner|| Normal: Episode 12|
|Permanent throughout the level.
Produces chocolate every two moves when there's no chocolates on the board
|Cake bomb||Episode 26 Level 366||Occupies 4 tiles. Each tile takes two adjacent matches to remove the slices. Clears the entire board when all slices are cleared.||Variable|
|Sugar chest||Episode 49 Level 711||Chests are single-tile stationary blockers that cannot be moved. Candies inside chests also cannot be matched. Chests are containers which contain certain locked-up items.||Low to Somewhat high|
|Popcorn||Completely resilient to normal matches. Absorbs special candy powers.
It can only be hit by special candies, and must take three hits to destroy. On the third hit, it turns into a colour bomb.
|Magic mixer||Normal Episode 90 Level 1326||It can produce predetermined blockers on the board per three or two moves (if this blocker does not get hit by adjacent match or special candy effect).
Can also make certain Candy Order levels rely entirely on Magic Mixers.
|High to Nearly infinite depending on spawn type, amount, and frequency.
Also Beneficial in some cases.
|Bobber||Normal Episode 162 Level 2406||Permanent throughout the level. Spawns jelly fish when hit by special candy effects, and is used beneficially.
The jelly fish spawned from bobber swim like activating jelly fish on the board, and will usually target difficult or strategic spaces.
|Candy Cane Fence||Appears between tiles, much like ingredient exits and teleporters. It is indestructible. If a blocker is on one side of the candy cane then matches on the other side will have no effect. Blocks candies from falling, as well as chocolate from spreading. It is impossible to swap candies from one side of the candy cane to the other. Special candies cannot be made if the candy cane is involved, but the effects of said candies stay the same.||Variable|
|Waffle||Maximum of five layers. Very similar to multilayered icing but it is mobile, like a multilayered liquorice swirl. Can get "eaten" by chocolate.||Somewhat low to Somewhat high|
|Dark Chocolate||Maximum of three layers. It is very similar to regular chocolate.||Somewhat high to Very high|
|Candy Cane Curls||Maximum of three layers. They are multilayered breakable candy cane blockers.||Medium to High|
|Crystal Candy||Maximum of three layers.||Low to Medium|
|Rainbow Twist||Maximum of five layers. Linked together in a chain that can be destroyed by clearing any one of the rainbow twists within the chain.||Somewhat low to High|
|Sugar Coat||Maximum of three layers. It can encase candies and other objects and it can move. It is the first movable encasing blocker.|
|Randomly moves around every two turns, destroying candies (and sometimes blockers), and blocking the tiles. Can make an entire level luck-based and unpredictable, and often greatly increases its difficulty.
This blocker has been nerfed several times before finally being eliminated completely.
- The most infamous blockers of Candy Crush Saga are: chocolate, chocolate spawners, candy bombs, five-layered icing, five-layered sugar chests, popcorn and magic mixer (formerly known as evil spawner) because of their properties and the difficulty of destroying them.
- Colour bomb + colour bomb combination can strip a layer from or remove all of the blockers except chocolate spawners and sugar chests.
- On mobile, there used to be a glitch, so Bobbers unofficially appeared in levels 426-434. The glitch has been fixed.
- Blockers can sometimes be beneficial. Most specifically, when a coconut wheel is set off, and there is a blocker in front of a colour bomb, or another coconut wheel, the blocker will prevent the active wheel from setting off those blocked special candies. It may also prevent the impact of detrimental blockers. However, the special candies under coconut wheel activates on mobile version.
- The most helpful blocker is the bobber since it spawns jelly fish when hit.
- Since Divine Diner, blockers are even required. Some levels rely entirely on Magic Mixers to complete.
- Immobile blockers are also helpful when blocking out a candy bomb/liquorice dispenser, or preventing chocolate from passing through.
- Level 275 currently has a useless candy bomb dispenser. That is because it is covered up by a chocolate spawner.
|Candy Crush Saga blockers|