Look for extra time candies to maximize your play in timed levels!
Extra Time Candy was a type of special candy that was only seen in timed levels. These candies looked like regular candies and can have any of the six regular colours, but they are glowing (in Flash version only) and have +5 written on them.
Alongside with timed levels, they were removed on HTML5 in 2 May 2018.
Extra time candies appeared in any timed level, and in later levels appeared at the start screen. They spawned when a match subsequently results in three cascades. If the cascades were still in progress, it came down after every four cascades. However, it didn't spawn if the timer is already at zero, even if the current cascade has not ended yet.
It acted like a regular candy, as it had to be matched for its effect to work. When matched, it gave the player five extra seconds, or reset the timer if it was less than 5 seconds short. For instance, if the time limit for that level is 60 seconds, and you match an extra time candy with 57 seconds left, your timer won't increase to 62 seconds, but only reset to 60.
When Sugar Crush took place on timed levels, any extra time candies left on the board when the time runs out were converted into wrapped candies and were set off.
In some levels, extra time candies were vital, especially on levels that had a short time limit and a high target score.
- Extra time candies existed from the release of the game until 2 May 2018, for a total of 2,231 days.
- They were removed alongside timed levels.
- Extra time candies can theoretically keep a level going forever. This was hard in practice since they take more than 5 seconds to spawn on average. The exception was level 252, a former timed level with 4 colours and a wide board, where players can keep the level going as long as they want.
- On web, or Flash, extra time candies made a unique sound when matched. On mobile, or HTML5, they sounded like a jelly fish being activated.
- There was a very rare glitch with the extra time candy on mobile. The "+5" on the extra time candy turns black. The black "+5" may return to normal if said candy falls down later.
- Extra time candies will only turn to wrapped candies once. If there were extra time candies enclosed in marmalade at the moment, they will not be transformed, even if they are released later due to further matches.
- During Sugar Crush, before extra time candies were transformed, the board handled other special candies first. If an extra time candy got caught in cascades before they were transformed, it had no effect and was considered as a common candy.
- Before the release of Mellow Marshmallow, due to the different mechanic of cascades on mobile, it was easier to get more extra time candies if you could pull off a long cascade. Level 252 was suitable in this case.
- If you matched 4 or 5 candies, the extra time candies matched just like regular candies. You could easily test this on level 1198, which had a large quantity of extra time candies all next to each other.
- However, even if your move is going to create a special candy, it will not spawn at your moving location, but at another random spot of this matching.
- Extra time candies did not appear outside of their associated level type, unlike jelly fish and coconut wheels.
- There was a report of an extra time candy coming out of mystery candy in a moves level. It came from an old mobile version, but nothing more was revealed.
- However, extra time candies appeared in mixed levels that have a time limit (jelly + timed only).
- Extra time candies used to come out of candy cannons starting from level 2049.
- Extra time candies didn't spawn naturally if there are candy cannons.
- Before they were removed, extra time candies were also found on jelly squares, as welll as in mixed levels, starting from level 2781. Cannons spawning these candies were also found in level 2784, with liquorice swirls, and level 2795, as standalone.
- On Flash version, if extra time candies were matched during a cascade after the timer reached 0, they weren't counted. On HTML5 version, they still increased the time even if it reached zero, if it was matched before a cascade ended.
- Extra time candies had the tile map code
|Candy Crush Saga special candies|