The Liquorice Shell, formerly a Popcorn, is a tough blocker in Candy Crush Saga. It first appears in the 37th episode, Sticky Savannah. The first level in which it is featured is level 543. This blocker is a reskinning for the popcorn and behaves the exact same way that popcorn did.
|First appearance||Latest appearance|
|Level 543 (unofficial)
Level 771 (official)
For the list of levels with this blocker, see here.
Liquorice shell is a stationary blocker occupying one space that takes three hits to clear. When it is hit by the effects of a special candy, the liquorice shell grows larger on the square upon which it sits. When it is hit a second time, it grows even larger and starts flashing. When it is hit a third time, it pops and turns into a colour bomb that can immediately be used by the player.
Note that unlike most blockers such as multilayered frosting, marmalade or liquorice swirls, it is immune to adjacent matches! Also, liquorice shell blocks the effect of striped candies and their combinations, just like liquorice swirls, liquorice fence and liquorice curls. If a striped candy's effect hits a liquorice shell blocker, it will increase the size of the liquorice shell as described above, but the effect is blocked, so none of the candies beyond it are affected. Therefore, liquorice shell is possibly one of the strongest blockers in the game, considerably more so than the five-layered frosting.
- If a liquorice shell is found inside a Sugar Chest, it keeps the resistance, but it cannot take damage before opening the chest.
- However, there is a small difference between both versions. At the last stage, if a striped candy's effect hits liquorice shell, candies beyond it are also affected. This is only seen on the web version, while in the mobile version, candies beyond it are not affected.
- A liquorice shell can appear under liquorice lock. This type of liquorice shell is even more durable, which can take four hits before destroyed.
- Liquorice shell is a stationary blocker unless it is placed on the conveyor belt at the beginning. In this case, the liquorice shell moves along the belt.
- If a lucky candy on a conveyor belt turns into liquorice shell, it will be destroyed immediately.
- Newer episodes now have liquorice shell with lower durability. An exception is level 773, right after their introduction.
- Liquorice shell was released prematurely. For one week, it could be found in mystery candies, but only in Dreamworld. Later, it was removed from the game.
- This blocker is not officially released in Dreamworld. Only three DW levels in only one episode feature liquorice shell: 414, 415, 424; all of them which were updated after the release of Dozy Dawn and concurrent to the removal of the toffee tornado.
- Later, when it was officially introduced, it did not appear in Dreamworld until the release of Hoax Hollow when the toffee tornadoes are removed and it is added in some of the redesigned levels.
- After some update, it also has a very low chance of coming out of a mystery candy. 766 and before with liquorice shell coming out of mystery candy is rare. 778 and beyond can occasionally spawn liquorice shell out of a mystery candy.
- This is the third blocker that takes exactly three hits to destroy - the first two being three-layered frosting and three-layered sugar chests. The blocker's invulnerability to adjacent matches still makes this blocker much more difficult than 5-layered frosting.
- While taking the third hit will turn liquorice shell into a colour bomb, this hit is not resisted in the web version, and will go through candies behind. On mobile, however, this hit will be absorbed and anything behind stays unaffected. This difference is obvious in level 1738.
- This blocker is NOT immune to colour bomb + colour bomb combinations. As a result of its initial release, the double colour bomb combination may have been updated to destroy all blockers.
- Formerly, jelly fish could not hit liquorice shell, even when there is jelly underneath it. This has changed in a later update so that jelly fish could hit liquorice shell.
- However, if Jelly Fish are combined with special candy, they may target a square adjacent to liquorice shell, in which case, the resulting detonation causes the liquorice shell to take a hit.
- This is the only blocker which turns into a special candy when it is destroyed.
- For a long time, cake bombs could not affect liquorice shell. An update in November 2019 has changed this behavior, such that each cake bomb explosion can damage each liquorice shell once.
- Liquorice shell is currently one of the more common blockers of the game, as well as being one of very few elements which have appeared in at least one level in every episode since its debut, except in Sweet Skies.
- This was the last original blocker (locked chocolate is classed as its blocker but not original since it is essentially chocolate in a liquorice lock), until the release of the magic mixer. Speaking of which, the magic mixer has yet to spawn liquorice shell and it is unknown if it ever will.
- In chronological order this is the blocker which is required as part of a candy order, after frosting, chocolate and liquorice swirls. Unlike those three which are worth 100 points each, it is worth 10,000 points, even more than combination orders, and this is equal to the number of points awarded when collecting an ingredient or rainbow candy.
- However it was glitched on mobile v1.70, where the points will show up, but it was not truly added. This glitch still exists as of the latest mobile version.
- Before the release of Delicious Dynasty, liquorice shell could not be destroyed by a lollipop hammer. After the said episode was released that changed so hitting a liquorice shell with a lollipop hammer would damage it. However, after the release of Watermelon Waves, on Flash, the changes were reverted, meaning you can't hit it with a lollipop hammer again.
- One day later, mobile v1.67 was released and it included this change. There is even an info screen to indicate how to deal with liquorice shells.
- However, jelly fish still can't damage liquorice shell or target jelly that is under liquorice shell even if it is the only jelly left on the board.
- Liquorice shell will be immediately destroyed if you collect liquorice shell by lucky candy in the conveyor belt because stationary blockers cannot be on conveyor belts.
- Of the first four blockers that are required as part of the order (liquorice shell, frosting, chocolate and liquorice), this is the only one where the order can never ask for 100 or more of this blocker. This is only possible if there are lucky candies.
- Much like liquorice swirls, liquorice shell blocks the effect of striped candies when locked, in marmalade or sugar chests.
- Liquorice shell has the tilemap code 054 (in its first stage). Liquorice shell in its second stage has the tilemap code 158 and liquorice shell in its third stage has the tilemap code 157.
- Liquorice shell has the order number "18". Popcorn had the same order number before it was replaced.
- The first HTML5 exclusive blocker combination involves liquorice shell (specifically, liquorice shell in sugar chests, in Syrup Square). Chocolate in sugar chests is officially introduced in the previous episode, although chocolate in sugar chests can appear on Flash version as well (in level 2391), while liquorice shell in sugar chests can only appear on HTML5.
- Liquorice shell appears on the board has already taken some damage (with 2/3 or 1/3 durability) officially in level 6118 and level 6120, respectively. The liquorice shell gives a colour bomb when popped, regardless of which stage it's at the start of a level.
- Coincidentally, those levels are part of an episode that was released on Christmas Day on Windows 10. Liquorice shell itself was officially introduced in Eggnog Emporium, which is also a Christmas-themed episode.
- Both types of liquorice shell with less durability are unofficially introduced in level 6107, due to redesigning. Since they appear in crystal candies in this level, it is proven that liquorice shell with less durability can still appear in encasing blockers. 1/3 durability liquorice shell appears in level 773 after another redesign.
- The order icon for the liquorice shell is full durability.
- Popcorn were reskinned to liquorice shells on 17 December 2020.
- As such, liquorice shells can be considered an element that was released in 2020, while popcorn was released in 2014 (3/3 durability) and 2019 (1/3 durability and 2/3 durability).
- Liquorice shell is the last element that was released in 2020 if reskinnings count.
- Technically, popcorn is the first order element to be removed. However, its order number (18) was given to the blocker's replacement (liquorice shell), so its order number still corresponds to an order element in the game. The first order element to be properly removed is mystery candies, which are not required for candy orders in any levels in the game. As such, its order number is currently unused.
- Level 543 - First appearance
- Level 771 - Originally the first appearance
- Level 773 - Unofficially the first level with liquorice shell starting with 1/3 durability.
- Level 776 - Unofficially the first level with liquorice shell starting with 2/3 durability.
- Level 780 - 10th level
- Level 786 - The 16th consecutive level with liquorice shell and is the last of the 16 consecutive levels
- Level 799 - 20th level
- Level 832 - 30th level
- Level 875 - 40th level
- Level 917 - 50th level
- Level 950 - 60th level
- Level 1016 - 70th level
- Level 1074 - 80th level
- Level 1128 - 90th level
- Level 1157 - 100th level
- Level 1187 - Unofficially the first level with liquorice shell order, due to redesigning.
- Level 1230 - The level with the most liquorice shell, which is 36
- Level 1401 - Episode opener of the New Year's Day-themed episode, Peppermint Party, which has 25 liquorice shells on the board.
- Level 1454 - Officially the first level in which liquorice shell is required as part of a candy order.
- Level 1700 - The first mixed level with liquorice shell.
- Level 1805 - The first level in which liquorice shell doesn't appear on the board but it is required as part of a candy order, meaning that the player must rely on lucky candies.
- Level 2776 - The first level with locked liquorice shell.
- Level 2788 - Last candy order level which requires popcorn (on Flash version).
- Level 2820 - Last level with liquorice shell (on Flash version).
- Level 2881 - The first level with chested liquorice shell.
- Level 3163 - The first level with marmalade-covered liquorice shell.
- Level 3942 - The first jelly-order mixed level with liquorice shell order.
- Level 4608 - The first level with liquorice shell in crystals.
- Level 5107 - The first level with liquorice shell on conveyor belt.
- Level 5240 - The first level with locked liquorice shell on conveyor belt.
- Level 5877 - The first ingredient-order mixed level with liquorice shell order.
- Level 6118 - Officially the first level with liquorice shell starting with 2/3 durability.
- Level 6120 - Officially the first level with liquorice shell starting with 1/3 durability.
- Level 7130 - The first rainbow rapids level with liquorice shell.
- Level 7961 - First level where liquorice shell order is required to unlock order locks.
- Level 8245 - The first level with liquorice shell in skull pedestals.
- Level 9026 - First level with a different colour scheme where liquorice shells appear.
- Level 9630 - First rainbow rapids mixed level with liquorice shell order.
Please note that popcorn may never make an official or an early appearance in Dreamworld outside of the removal of toffee tornadoes.
|Candy Crush Saga blockers|