Moves are one of the main features of Candy Crush Saga. A move consists of matching at least three same-coloured candy in a row. A successful match will bring down the total number of remaining moves by one. Moves can also be made by combining a colour bomb with a candy or another special candy, or a coconut wheel with a regular or special candy. (And formerly using the free switch booster or moving the candy frog to another tile.)
Any remaining moves left over from a level will result in Sugar Crush. On moves levels, Sugar Crush happens when the player runs out of moves, and when the player reached the target score when he/she is playing in his/her current level.
On mobile, the move counter starts blinking as a warning when five moves are remaining. This applies even to levels that begin with five or fewer moves. Candy bombs blink when their countdown reaches two moves remaining.
The moves can range from 6 moves (3387) to a generous 66 moves Level 666, and all the way to a whopping 90 moves (Level 15 beta). When you run out of moves and haven't reached the objective(s), you fail the level. There is little or no connection between move count and difficulty; generous (high) move counts do not necessarily equate to low difficulty, and low move counts do not necessarily equate to high difficulty.
The in-game description of moves is: "Every successful switch costs a move. Game ends when all are used." (It is shown when the mouse pointer hovers above the moves section).
There are currently two ways of gaining additional moves in levels:
- A friend can send +3 extra moves if you have been stuck on a level for at least 2 days. This is activated before the level starts.
- An extra moves booster can be activated during a game at any time. If you run out of moves before completing a level, the game offers you a chance to buy an extra 5 moves and up to 50 moves after the eighth and further purchases. You also have a chance of winning extra moves by spinning a wheel.
- The third way was to collect extra moves candies, a type of candy that is the counterpart of the discontinued extra time candies. Each extra moves candy gave three extra moves. They were officially introduced in level 3779 but was later discontinued.
- Level 3387 currently has the least moves out of any level excluding past versions, with 6 moves.
- Level 666 currently has the most moves out of any level excluding past versions, with 66 moves. If past and beta versions are included, they include level 700, Dreamworld level 440 and pre-buffed level 696, at 75, and level 15, at an unbelievable 90. The record was Level 9896, which at one time had an inconceivable 92 moves!