This page contains information about content that was previously in the game but now got removed.
The objective was to earn at least one star before the time ran out.
Due to negative player reception, Timed levels were phased out of the game. Later proposals have been made to bring them back, but they were all consistently declined. For two years until 14 September 2020, they were still available on Flash only.
As of now, they were still coded in the game post-extinction. The only way to revisit timed levels is in the case if you have an older version of the mobile app.
Timed Level extinction process
Timed levels were made extinct in early 2018, due to their difficulty and user-unfriendliness to some. The highest timed level, level 3093 was released on 7 February 2018 with the release of Popping Peninsula. The extinction process was gradual starting in early 2018.
The phaseout largely happened only on HTML5, as levels were no longer redesigned on Flash after 2018. Coincidentally, that started around the time the final Flash episode was released.
- On 11 October 2017, level 18 became a near exact copy of level 20 with a fixed color layout and 10 less seconds. This redesign occured on Flash and applied throughout the remainder of its existance.
- During the first two months of 2018, moves levels replaced some timed levels, which signaled an early stage of being phased out. By the end of February, the affected levels included 1710, 1891, 1995. This also occured on Flash.
- On 20 February 2018, all jelly time levels were converted into regular jelly levels. This also occurred on Flash.
- In early March 2018, many earlier timed levels were replaced with moves levels including the fan favourite level 252. None of the updates from there on occurred on Flash.
- In the first week of April 2018 alone, most remaining timed levels were converted into other level types. It was assumed that the next update or two would remove all remaining timed levels. The series of removals eventually whittled the number of timed levels to just one.
- The last remaining timed level, level 18, was removed in the first week of May 2018. It became the symbol of the official removal of timed levels.
- For just over two more years, timed levels could still be played on Flash since the redesigns no longer affected the Flash version. With the removal of Flash, timed levels are now only available on old mobile versions that do not receive updates.
It was the only level type that was not restricted by moves.
To pass a timed level, a certain score had to be achieved within the time allocated, such that you would earn at least one star. When a match subsequently resulted in three cascades, a +5 candy would come down. If the cascades were still in progress, a +5 candy would come down after every four cascades. When time ran out, all special candies would be activated, then the +5 candies would turn into wrapped candies and would activate.
When an extra time candy was matched, it would grant 5 seconds or refill the timer, whichever was less.
You have a restricted amount of time to finish the level. If the time runs out before you’ve earned at least one star, you will fail the Game.
- Initially, timed levels were considered the easiest levels in the game. This was no longer the case after around 2015, and was nowadays regarded as the hardest type.
- Timed levels were considered harder than moves levels since your goal was to earn one star. There were only a few hard timed levels to earn one star. Some were also very boring to play.
- They were hard because you had to earn one star with some being very high, and you were pressured with a time limit.
- Also, many later timed levels were hard to earn three stars. 1237 on Flash was an example.
- This level type was also officially called Time levels.
- This was the level type in the original Candy Crush and the Action Mode of Bejeweled.
- When it existed, it was one of the two 'primitive' level types, as their sole objective was the score. The other 'primitive' level type was moves, and it was used for tutorial levels. Both have been removed.
- There were never two consecutive timed levels.
- In the early days, there was never a timed level that was extremely hard to earn even one star. But many later timed levels are extremely hard to earn three stars.
- The music of this level type for the HTML5 version was the music for candy order levels on the Flash version, while the music for this level type on the Flash version was the music for ingredients levels on the HTML5 version.
- Timed levels did not give any sugar drops on mobile.
- This was the only level type not to appear in the final episode of the Flash version.
- Like moves levels, there could be long gaps in between levels. The first major gap was from level 462 to level 618. Afterwards, there were seven more large gaps in between timed levels, mainly in the early 1000s and after Sugary Stage.
- Many newer levels, such as level 6320, were timed levels in their unreleased versions. These levels were mainly placeholder levels using the former versions of level 59 and level 64.
- If an extra time candy was in a blocker (especially marmalade) and couldn't turn into a wrapped candy during Sugar Crush, if other wrapped candies freed it, then it still would not transform. The transforming phase only happens once.
- The game code and tile map codes for timed levels are still present, so it is still possible to make new levels or recreate the ones that used this game mode.
- The last timed level to be chronologically redesigned was Level 18, the earliest timed level to have ever existed, and for around two weeks, the only timed level in the game. This is in stark contrast to moves levels, which had the last 25 levels redesigned on the same day, the first moves level at the time was level 899 and the last moves level was level 5576.
List of Timed levels
- See also: List of Timed levels on Flash
This is the list of timed levels before they started phasing out of the game. Note that the "Gap" column is just for the purpose of illustration.
|Timed Level #||Level ()||New Type||Gap from the previous timed level||Details|
|#1.||18||None||Unofficial, updated on 11 October 2017. On HTML5, the last timed level remaining before the complete removal of timed levels. Flash also had that version and retained it until the final removal of Flash. |
This was an almost exact replica of level 20, except for
|#2.||20||2||First timed level (except the unofficial Level 18) |
First timed episode finale
Second episode finale in the game
|#3.||27||7||Lemonade lake was the first episode with 2 timed levels (27, 32)|
|#8.||80||16||Second timed episode finale.|
|#20.||182||5||First very hard timed level.|
|#27.||252||15||Could be played indefinitely.|
|#33.||343||15||Was the timed level with the longest timer - 3 minutes!|
|#39.||618||156||Was the first timed level after a drought of 125 levels (or higher).|
|#44.||880||155||Second timed level after a drought of 125 levels (or higher).|
|#49.||1198||130||Third timed level after a drought of 125 levels (or higher) and the shortest timer - 10 seconds.|
|#51.||1387||150||Fourth timed level after a drought of 125 levels (or higher).|
|#54.||1512||88||Timed levels started to increase their abundance here.|
|#55.||1525||13||First extremely hard timed level.|
|#56.||1538||13||First instance of an episode with 2 timed levels after Sweet Surprise (201-215) - (excluding Toffee Tower) - a gap of 1300 levels.|
|#64.||1628||26||Milky Marina was the first episode with 3 timed levels (1628, 1632, 1638).|
|#82.||1822||5||Icing Islands was the first episode with 4 timed levels (1822, 1825, 1828, 1832).|
|#103.||2016||21||First timed episode opener.|
|#105.||2049||19||Tricky Tracks was the second episode with 4 timed levels (2049, 2053, 2058, 2060).|
|#132.||2314||10||The phasing out of timed levels began after this level.|
|#134.||2583||209||First timed level after a drought of 200 levels (or higher). (The 5th such drought and the longest one!)|
|#136.||2758||124||The last non-mixed timed level in the Flash version! It was the 6th long drought. |
Timed jelly levels start appearing later in level 2781 (Episode 187) in high frequencies.
|#137.||2940||182*||First non-mixed timed level exclusive to the HTML5 version after a high frequency of timed jelly levels. Also the 7th long drought.|
|#138.||3093||153*||The very last timed level ever designed and released after a series of timed jelly levels. It was the 8th long drought.|
Jelly-timed mixed levels
This is a list of the 25 mixed jelly-timed levels before they started phasing out of the game (all got changed to jelly levels):
- Level 2781 - Was the very first jelly-timed level ever released.
- Level 2784
- Level 2786
- Level 2789
- Level 2791
- Level 2793
- Level 2795
- Level 2799 - The last jelly-timed level in Flash.
- Level 2840 - Became the first jelly-timed level exclusive to the HTML5 version.
- Level 2865
- Level 2871
- Level 2890
- Level 2923
- Level 2928
- Level 2930
- Level 2932
- Level 2936
- Level 2942
- Level 2951
- Level 2956
- Level 2981
- Level 2999
- Level 3008
- Level 3042
- Level 3090 - The very last mixed jelly-timed level before the long drought. (A total of 163 levels with time)
|Candy Crush Saga level types|